March is National Nutrition Month (NNM), presented by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND). The Academy is the largest recognized organization for practicing nutrition professionals. National Nutrition Month originated to recognize nutrition professionals and promote our mission and provide information and education to the public.
This year, our theme is “Putting your Best Fork Forward.” We hold the tool to make healthier choices! Cute, right?! With all kinds of information on the internet, many people become confused on what is best practice for a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle. By putting our best fork forward, nutrition professionals desire to provide nutrition education based on science and research, not fad diets and quick trends. Physical activity is also a primary focus of NNM because it goes hand in hand with healthy food choices to promote overall wellness.
Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist Day is March 8th so make sure you pat your hard working dietitian/nutritionist on the back for their hard work!
So what is the role of a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist?
- We are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- We have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship and passed an examination.
- We use our nutrition expertise to help individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.
- We work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research and private practice.
- We are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
I challenge you to commit to one healthy food or lifestyle change this March. There is no better time to recommit any health related New Year’s Resolutions and find someone to hold you accountable. Thank you for your support and Happy National Nutrition Month!